Kilroy Was Here
May 28, 2002
 
Middle Aged
It's beginning to hit me that I am middle-aged. It's also beginning to hit me that I'm very uncomfortable with it.

I've always envisioned myself as the prodigy. The good student. Even when I haven't been naturally good at something, when I've had to work very hard to achieve a journeyman's competence, with little or no hope of anything more, I've always envisioned myself as the natural. To me, the greatest compliment has always been, "You've only been doing this for how long? That's unbelievable."

But it's beginning to hit me that the Prodigy suit doesn't hang so well on a 34 year-old software executive. That I will never be called great at anything new I attempt (Brazillian Jiu Jitsu, or golf, writing a novel, etc.) I don't know if I have enough time anymore.

And now I'm beginning to look at a new suit of clothes to wear. I just don't know what that will be yet.

Kilroy
Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger