Kilroy Was Here
May 14, 2002
 
The Wonders of Artificial Societies
For a long time, I have been intrigued by systems and simulations--reductions of human behavior and societies into a set of simple, subconscious rules. Unlike many people, I have little faith in reason. I believe that the sources of our behavior are beyond our conscious control and that the ethereal notions of "judgement" or "motivation" are optical illusions of the mind.

Or, as the British scientist J. B. S. Haldrane put it: 'I have come to the conclusion that my subjective account of my own motivation is largely mythical on almost all occasions. I don't know why I do things.'

So, I've collected a list of articles and books that examine this point more closely. As I come across more interesting expansions of this idea, I'll continue to post them here.



That's a good start. I'll post more when I get a chance.

Kilroy
Comments: Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger